Saturday, November 2, 2013

Meet the author !

I realized I haven't properly introduced myself in my first post. Who is this stranger writing a children's story book ?

Well, I'm a PhD student at CarnegieMellon in Pittsburgh. My lab is in the department of Biological Sciences, and I spend a lot of time building things, so some people call me an engineer.

"That has nothing to do with writing children's books !!!", you say. You're right ! I guess it's more informative to say I like trying new things.

My first love is photography. The photo below was taken at my 3rd birthday party, in Saigon. My attempt at photographing my friends was quickly abandoned when the cake arrived, and the party was a quiet, sedate affair. At least that's the version my parents told. Since my report cards from this period regularly included the phrase "Phu is sociable but also incorrigibly disruptive", I feel the reality may have been a bit different.
  I'm not sure what camera I'm looking at here, 
but my Dad took this photo with his Canonet. 
No fruit or child-friendly beverage was harmed during this production.

Fortunately, I eventually extended my subject range to more animated subjects, later in life in Seattle:
I came to college to study Wildlife Science, and did a brief internship at the US Forest Service,
Everyone was smiling since they knew I would be the first in the group 
to be eaten by wild animals when we go into the field
then another internship at the Institute for Systems Biology (notice the famously grey Seattle skies):
The most color-coordinated lab in western United States
Around this time I became interested in publishing. Since I have accumulated a large collection of photographs, I wanted to publish photobooks. I printed the books myself since I was young and impatient (incorrigibly impatient ? College transcripts did not include professor comments). Shortly afterwards, the University of Washington School of Art limited the number of pages students could print in their computer labs on a single day, though that could have been a coincidence. In any case, the next few books were printed by commercial presses:

My second love is food, brought on by chronic Oliver Twist-like hunger during college. A while back I collected recipes from friends, made 51 recipes in 90 days, and compiled a book from the photographs. My neighbors were convinced I was running an underground restaurant, and the local Giant Eagle grocery store regretted ever creating their frequent shoppers rewards program. After 20-odd years, I once again photographed food.
"'Return from a successful goose hunt' is a perfectly acceptable first step in a recipe!"
--Chris (wearing blue t-shirt in Forest Service photo above)
"Does this have a name ? If not you should call it 'The Panty Dropper' !" --Sara*
"Don't your friends resent you for making them fat ?" --Mom**
 I hope this post gives you and impression of who I am and what I do. "The Prince" is another adventure that I'm very excited about, and I hope you will support us ! Until next time,

--Phu
*You're probably wondering what recipe could elicit such a comment from an otherwise poised and delicately eloquent future physician. "Love's Triumph Tiramisu", and all recipes from the cookbook is available at the Courtyard Kitchen companion blog.
** Yes, but since I'm incorrigibly social my friends tend to forgive me quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment