Saturday, October 26, 2013

Meet the illustrator!

Greetings! This is Annie, I'm doing the illustrations for The Prince. I first met Phu through our mutual friend and my classmate, Sara (look out for her in a future video!). When he first approached me about this project, I was a bit nervous. My drawing CV up until that point included such prestigious publications as: my journal; margins of lecture notes; thank-you cards. I've always liked to draw on my own, but this sounded like a much bigger project than I'd ever done before.

Some pre-The Prince drawings

Riding the subway

Doing "art" under the pretense of studying

My drawing of Sara that inspired her to bring me 
and Phu together to work on this project

My preferred rendition of Sara, as Simba on Pride Rock

I was hesitant at first, but when I met Phu, read his story, and heard his plans, I really loved the message he wanted to convey through this book, and his vision and heartfelt enthusiasm for this project. We started working together in January, and it's been a wonderful creative adventure ever since!

And through this blog, you're invited to come on this magic carpet ride with us. We'll be documenting our process here, from first pencil sketches to colouring in Photoshop, from story development to our forthcoming Kickstarter campaign.

We'd also love to hear from you! Please comment or e-mail us with any questions or comments you have (about the book, project, who we are, where do babies come from, etc) and we'll respond to them in upcoming Q&A posts.

--Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment